Having the deck of your dreams can be a reality. Modular decking tiles - real hardwood tiles that easily interlock together - are the next hot thing for do-it-yourselfers out to expand their outdoor living space.
Upgrading an existing deck, patio or balcony, is among the top five home improvement projects; it enhances a home's value and is cheaper than building an actual room addition. Yet traditional deck building has required homeowners to either layout a substantial sum of cash to have professionals do the job, or invest hours of their own time learning the skills needed to do it themselves.
Recently featured on HGTV's "Red, Hot & Green", hosted by expert carpenter Carter Oosterhouse, these modular interlocking decking tiles can make a beautiful do-it-yourself deck possible for even home improvement neophytes.
Each one sqft. modular wooden tile is mounted on a high-impact polypropylene backing. The grid allows the tiles to lock together like children's plastic building blocks. They are so easy to put together, so you can reasonably expect to invest 60 minutes or less installing a 100 square foot deck.
The 1-3/16 inch-thick tiles are made of beautiful, durable Ipe hardwood, also known as Brazilian Walnut (ironwood). The tiles are manufactured in 12-inch by 12-inch and 12-inch by 24-inch dimensions. The tiles are imported from South America.
Besides easy installation, modular decking tiles have several advantages over traditional decks:
* No concrete footings or complicated support systems are necessary. Modular decking tiles and pavers can be placed over any reasonably flat surface - from an existing concrete patio, weathered traditional deck, or balcony, to screened in porches, basements and flat-top roofs.
* The average cost per square foot of traditional decks range from $18 to over $35 per square foot, depending on the wood or composite material choice. Modular interlocking decking tiles retail custom wood maps between $8.95 and $11.99 per square foot, depending on the style and material.
* Once assembled, modular decking tiles are as sturdy as a traditional deck. They can easily be disassembled should you decide to relocate your deck, or take it with you when you move.
* Because they snap together, modular tile decks never have any exposed screws or nails, making them child wood art and pet friendly.
* Cleanup and maintenance are easy. Simply hose off your modular decking tiles as needed for regular cleaning. Once a year, treat them with a wood sealer containing UV protection.
* Modular decking tiles can also be used to easily create patios, paths and posh pool areas outdoors, and as flooring in home spas or on apartment or condo balconies. Decking tiles can also be laid in three different designs: traditional, offset or parquet, to create a truly unique and beautiful look.